Monday, May 16, 2011

It all starts at McDonald's

I have been bless over the last 15 years to coach baseball at some of the highest level in the high school and youth travel teams. This past weekend I had the great honor and privilege to watch a coach help a young 9 year old boy learn to hit. 

It all starts at McDonald's 

I have never really worked with very young kids before and when I did......well lets just say there were some tears.   When I coach a kid one on one or when he comes to play for one of my elite teams he has been taught all the basics of the game.  They already know how to swing the bat, throw the ball, and catch, now I just take them and fine tune all that basic knowledge.  Until this weekend I never really thought about the coaches that spend hours with this kids when they are 5,6,7,8,and 9 years old.  Those coaches that don't do it for the money or the glory but for the love of the game.  They have a heart to teach these young boys to enjoy the game and to have a passion to learn more about it.   This coach that I saw started out the lesson tell the young player lets go to McDonald's...I was in awe by the words and phrases that he used to help this young player develop a swing in an one hour lesson.  Asking the boy to take off his shoes to show him where the balls of his feet are, asking him to knock on the door and asking him which knuckles he used, and many more simple techniques to help the young boy learn the basics of a great swing.

I just want to say THANK YOU to Coach Jaime Arredondo and all those coaches that spend hours at the ball field trying to get young kids better and teaching them to enjoy the game.   Any success that I have had is direct result of your teaching the game of baseball and making the game fun...again thank you.


Coach V

No comments:

Post a Comment